Character Cats

10 September 2006

Lost and Found Response

Our recent post about tracing missing cats (Lost and Found 27 August) has provoked our biggest response yet and is probably best summrised by the comment That Cleaning Lady added to the original post:

Hi there, I stopped by your site today and feel the need to share the story of losing Benjamin. He was a stray that moved in with us a couple winters ago, he was sick and wild, but after a trip to the vet and some good food, he decided to stay in and stop streaking out the pet door every time he saw me or my husband.

Anyway, last fall Benny went missing and that was very unusual, we have a morning routine, and after a few days I feared the worst. We live out in the country and the coyotes here just love wild cat when they can get it. I feared that or a road disaster, but never thought of the animal shelter that is 10 miles away from us in town.

Our neighbor had a problem with a wild female cat having kittens under her trailer, and she got a trap from the shelter and turned over all her catches, one of which was Benny. He spent 7 days in the pound before my daughter asked me if I'd thought to check at the shelter, I said no, how would he get 10 miles into town, never realizing my neighbor was trapping strays and got Benny because he couldn't resist the tuna fish in the cage.

Well, I went to the pound and there he was sitting so forlorn in that cage, as soon as he saw me he practically leapt into my arms and we both had a good cry at our reunion. Now Benny doesn't go to the neighbors house, and I have given her pictures of all 4 of my cats with a note that if she traps any of them, I expect her to call me and I'll come get whoever it is that doesn't belong down the road.

Thank you for such a good suggestion to check the shelters and the cat rescue places if you lose a cat. Also check with neighbors too to find out if they're trapping strays.

The loss of a loved pet is a traumatic, but not hopeless, event. Cats' inate curiosity will always lead them into such unlikely situations that it is amost impossible to second guess where they might be. So when searching for a cat, be persistant, patient and always expect the unexpected!

Posted by web-blogger at 1:36 PM

<< Home

About Kats & Kits:

Kats & Kits is a long established cat sanctuary based in the depth of the UK's mystical Wiltshire countryside, on the edge of Salisbury Plain, near the white horses of Alton Barnes and Westbury.

Run by a small dedicated team we aim to provide a home to rescued cats where re-homing is not a viable option.

This blog documents the daily challenges the group has overcome since 1994 to provide care and shelter for abandonded, stray and unwanted cats.

More...

* Bookmark this site! *
* Tell a Friend *

More Information

Cat Care Tips

External Links

Acknowledgements



Previous Posts

Web Links

Top Pets Blogs




Pets Directory Click here to become a LinkShare Affiliate!


* Bookmark this site! *
* Tell a Friend *